Dual Language Immersion Endorsement
Utah State University offers a Dual Language Immersion Endorsement. The endorsement is available to university students seeking degrees in elementary and secondary education.
Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI)
- The OPI must be passed at an Advanced-low score in order to begin the DLI track. However, an OPI score of Advanced-mid is required to earn the DLI Endorsement through the Utah State Office of Education. Students are allowed entry into the DLI track with an Advanced-low score so that they have the opportunity to continue their language development during the program. It is recommended that students take the OPI as soon as they return from an experience abroad.
- In order to achieve an OPI score of Advance-mid it is recommended that students take university-level courses in the target language of instruction well beyond grammar courses. This may be achieved through a rigorous study abroad program. Students will be required to have an Advanced-mid OPI score in order to student teach in a DLI classroom.
The endorsement requires the courses listed below. All courses must be completed with C grades or higher.
Teaching Methods and Clinical Course: 4 Credits
- LING 4400: Teaching Modern Languages – 3 credits (fall semester only)
- LING 3300/4300: Clinical Experience Dual Immersion Classroom- 1 credit (fall semester only)
Foundations: 3 credits
- LING 4700/6700: Foundation of Dual Immersion Education – 3 credits (spring semester only) It will be important that students work with an advisor to develop a plan of study. LING 4400 and LING 3300/4300 are pre-requisites for LING 4700.
Second Language Acquisition: 3 Credits
- TEAL 5735: Language Systems, Acquisition and Instruction for English Learners – 3 credits
Instructional Strategies and Assessment: 6 Credits
- TEAL 5560: ESOL Instructional Strategies in the Content Areas (also as TEAL 4770/6770) - 3 credits
- TEAL 5560: Assessment for Language Learners (also as TEAL 4780/6780) - 3 credits
Student Teaching: 12-15 Credits
- If a student has achieved an Advanced-mid score on the OPI she/he may complete a portion of the student teaching experience in a dual immersion classroom. The Advanced-mid OPI score must be submitted with the student teaching application. A student whose language development is not yet at the Advanced-mid level will student teach in an English-speaking classroom.
- Eligible languages include Spanish, French, Chinese, German, and Portuguese.
For more information, contact:
TEAL Advisement Center