How to Apply for Student Teaching
The Student Teaching Application portal for the Spring 2019 semester will be available after January 21, 2019.
Elementary Student Teachers: The deadline for applications for the Fall 2019 semester is Feburary 15, 2019.
Secondary Student Teachers: The deadline for applications for the Spring 2019 semester is March 1, 2019. Please remember that you will need to contact your major advisor and/or minor advisor to complete the application.
NOTE: You must update Banner with current information (phone number, email, address) before applying for student teaching.
You will need to complete the online application and submit the following documents with your online application:
- Student Teaching License,
- Praxis scores (or, for secondary education students only, proof that you will take the Praxis before student teaching), and
- Advisor Approval Form. ELED | SCED
- You will also need to know the date that your background check passed.
Click on Submit New Form and then choose Elementary Student Teaching Application or Secondary Student Teaching Application and then choose the semester that you plan to student teach. (Do not choose summer--student teaching is not available in summer.) You will need the resumé, student teaching license (screenshot), Praxis score report or Praxis test registration email, and advisor approval form completed and saved as files that can be uploaded before you fill out the online application.
If you're interested in teaching out of state, you must fill out a separate application, which you can download HERE.
NOTE: Completing the application does not guarantee a student teaching placement. Final approval for student teaching is contingent upon successful completion of practicum placements/clinicals, passing scores on Praxis tests, and earning minimum grades in classes.
If you have any questions or are ready to have your advisor approval form completed, please make an appointment with your TEAL advisor. Appointments can be scheduled through www.cehs.usu.edu/advising, or by contacting your advisor.
If you have not applied for graduation, please do so at this time: https://www.usu.edu/registrar/graduation/apply-online
If you have not applied for your Utah Educator License, it is highly recommended that you do so before your student teaching semester. Further information and the application form can be found at: http://www.cehs.usu.edu/teached/application. If you have any further questions about this process, please contact the Educator License Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (435) 797-1443.
What should I include on my resumé?
You can find resources and examples of professional resumes on the USU Career Services webpage. You will submit your resumé to your mentor teacher and principal once you have been placed for student teaching, so please use this as an opportunity to showcase your professionalism and experience.
How do I get a Student Teaching License?
Follow the instructions below to obtain your student teaching license.
- Log in to https://secure.utah.gov/elr/welcome.html.
- Complete the Educator Ethics Review.
- You will receive an email with your CACTUS ID. You should keep this email and memorize your CACTUS ID, as you will need to use it often throughout your teaching career.
- Use your CACTUS ID to apply for your student teaching license. Select the Student Teacher/Intern License box and complete that form. Within 2-3 hours, you should receive an email from the USBE with your Student Teaching License. Print a copy to keep with your other important papers and save an electronic copy for your records.
How do I complete the Educator Ethics Review?
Using your CACTUS ID, log in to this page: https://secure.utah.gov/elr/eee/index.html
Upon completion of the review, you will receive an email. Save the email as a PDF to submit as part of your student teaching application.