Skip to main content

How to Apply for Student Teaching

The Student Teaching Application portal for the Spring 2019 semester will be available after August 15, 2018.

Elementary Student Teachers: The deadline for applications for the Spring 2019 semester will be October 1, 2018

Secondary Student Teachers: The deadline for applications for the Spring 2019 semester will be October 15, 2018. Please remember that you will need to contact your major advisor(s) to complete the application.

You will need to submit the following documents with your online application:

  1. Resume
  2. Student Teaching License
  3. Background Check
  4. Educator Ethics email

If you have any questions or are ready to have your application reviewed, please make an appointment with your TEAL advisor. Appointments can be scheduled through, or by contacting your advisor. 

If you have not applied for graduation, please do so at this time:

If you have not applied for your Utah Educator License, it is highly recommended that you do so before your student teaching semester. Further information and the application form can be found at: If you have any further questions about this process, please contact the Educator License Office at or (435) 797-1443. 


You can find resources and examples of professional resumes on the USU Career Services webpage. You will submit your resume to your mentor teacher and principal once you have been placed for student teaching, so please use this as an opportunity to showcase your professionalism and experience.

Student Teaching License

Follow the instructions below to obtain your student teaching license. During student teaching, a printed copy of your student teaching license should be kept with you in the classroom. You should also offer a copy to your principal(s). 

  1. Log in to
  2. Complete the Educator Ethics Review.
  3. You will receive an email with your CACTUS ID. You should keep this email and memorize your CACTUS ID, as you will need to use it often throughout your teaching career.
  4. Use your CACTUS ID to apply for your student teaching license. Select the Student Teacher/Intern License box and complete that form. Within 2-3 hours, you should receive an email from the USBE with your Student Teaching License. Print a copy to keep with your other important papers and save an electronic copy for your records.

If you have any questions about applying for student teaching, please contact the Office of Teacher Preparation at or