English as a Second Language Endorsement
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Teaching Endorsement is a unique program addressing the overlapping dimensions of language, culture, learner, educator, school system, and society. It is designed for those with a teaching license or seeking to gain more in-depth knowledge of transnational second language learners and the field of ESL education.
The five graduate-level ESL endorsement courses are used to form an area of concentration in a Master’s program. They can also be taken alone for non-matriculated graduate students (practicing teachers) pursuing the endorsement only. Additionally, undergraduate students may begin working on the endorsement by taking 5710 and 5735 as undergraduates. Undergraduate students interested in continuing their education in our Master's program should consider applying to the bridge program, please contact your academic advisor. Follow the instructions HERE to apply to take the endorsement courses only, or the Master's degree with a focus on ESL Education visit our Master's of Education page.
To meet the needs of working professionals, all of these classes are broadcast in the late afternoon and evening and can be taken from any USU campus or receiving site.
ESL Endorsement CoursesOffered Every Semester
- TEAL 5710 (undergraduate; offered fall and spring) or 6710 (graduate) Diversity in Education
- TEAL 5735 Language Systems and Literacy for English Learners (formerly TEAL 4745/6735)
- TEAL 6755 Family and Community Involvement (1 credit practicum included)
- TEAL 6770 ESOL Instructional Strategies in the Content Areas (1 credit practicum included)
- TEAL 6780 Assessment for Language Learners *offered Summer 2019 as TEAL 5560.*B1 (1 credit practicum included)
The ESL endorsement coursework overlaps with that required for the Dual Language Immersion (DLI) endorsement. If you are interested in the DLI endorsement, find more information here: DLI Endorsement
For more information on the ESL endorsement and/or graduate emphasis, contact:
Dr. Sarah Braden